Monday, July 28, 2014

I'd Be Stupid Not To



I remember well the first time I saw her.  I was exceptionally moved.  I couldn't help but be overwhelmed in that moment.  There I looked at her and with some hesitation I approached her.  But I had to approach her, she caused me to marvel.  Then I decided rather than just stand there and gawk, I'd probably do well to say something.  And so I began.  I tried not to show my awkwardness and just speak, but I couldn't help but fumble a bit over my words.  Her presence had captivated me.  And as the brief introductory window we had to meet one another had ended, I found myself longing for another chance to meet with her and talk and get to know her better.  I would not be content to do anything but pursue after her. 



After eventually getting her number I had the boldness to call her.  I'd be stupid not to do something with it and with what I saw as a chance to get to know her better.  She was truly worth it.  And so I put my all into a phone call to see if she would be available to meet for a meal and coffee.  Fortunately she concurred that this would be good.  And so we were set, for a date, our first date. 

This is a brief glimpse into what went into the initial interactions between my wife and I.  I was overwhelmed by something inside me that caused me to pursue with no restraints.  Suddenly the intimidating possibility that I might be rejected, that I might be turned away, didn't matter.  Something about her captivated me so deeply that I put aside everything to pursue her.  I caught a glimpse of her that caused me to marvel and I figured I'd be stupid not to pursue her.  I am glad I did.  I could have entertained thoughts of other women to pursue, but something about her compelled me otherwise.  I left the possibility of that behind and pursued her.  Her personality, her joy, her wit, her beauty caused me to lay aside every possible inhibition, every possible alternative, and to make her my wife. It was this glimpse of her glory, that only got brighter and more breathtaking that caused me to continue the pursuit. 

Every so often a glimpse of God comes along.  We have found ourselves in small windows of time captivated by some aspect of His greatness.  It is as though for that brief window there is a glimpse into His glory that moves us.  But unfortunately we forget.  Unfortunately we lose sight.  Unfortunately we allow for other things to catch our eye and captivate us.  And it is hard to see this God who is everywhere, unable to be contained, but is not seen with the physical eye.  The eye of faith is our only means of seeing Him now, and as a result we lose sight. 

But we'd be stupid to stop pursuing Him.  We'd miss out on joys that are to be had in HIM now if we forget to pursue Him.  And if we allow for any lesser pursuits to consume us now we will miss out on discovering and unveiling the deeper layers of what we now see just the surface of.  The greatness of God's glory, which hopefully we have gotten a glimpse of will be all that satisfies us forever and ever.  When we are so caught up and enveloped in the brilliance of His presence forever and ever we will get lost in a sense of deeper wonder, deeper amazement, the deepest unimagined joys than mankind could and will ever know (Ps. 16:11; 1 Cor. 2:9). 

So why?  Why do we find ourselves pursuing so much less?  Why are we content to leave His Word alone?  Why are we content to say nothing, and listen none at all to Him when daily He calls us to speak to Him, ask of Him, and listen to Him?  Why are we so over-impressed by the accomplishments, powers, knowledge, and love that others put on display (sometimes directed toward us) when the ONLY GOD of all history, before history, and when history is history, has an infinite power unimaginable, a knowledge perfected, never to forget, with no need to learn, and with a love for us that is truly beyond understanding?  

This is glory!  This is the glory of God.  This is the purpose for which we were created: for HIS GLORY (Col. 1:15; Rev. 4:11).  And when we come to realize HE, the only GOD, has no equal, no rival, no one able to be compared to Him, but He alone is unique, then we will pursue Him and then we will realize all the more the deeper depths of His immeasurable greatness and glories.  

So be captivated this day.  Be caught up in the pursuit of HIM.  Lay aside all else to pursue this God.  We'd be stupid not to!  As nobody would question my pursuit of my wife (before she was my wife) I say to you, go after CHRIST.  HE is the BRILLIANCE after which the deepest longings and cravings of your heart are beckoning.  He is the EXCELLENCY after which the soul-yearnings within are crying out to be satisfied and still to taste more of, from Christ's very person.  He is the GLORY after which the perfected saints will ever exult, and savor, and rest...eternally content.  Be satisfied in nothing less now.  Christ is far more glorious than we could ever know.  Go search out the unknown, unmeasured depths of His magnificence.  You will never regret it.  Just don't sit and do nothing.  Pursue this great Christ, who reveals God, who IS GOD! 

"He is the radiance of the glory of God, and the exact imprint of His nature, and He upholds the universe by the Word of His power." - Hebrews 1:3


No comments:

Post a Comment