Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Prayer and the Word - Acts 6:4

My heart has for sometime resonated with the words of the apostles from the above mentioned reference.  So there they were, serving tables.  It was not that they viewed the serving of such tables as below them, or an unworthy cause in the least bit.  Rather, they came to this realization that they were entrusted the message of Christ, and in their serving tables they were actually neglecting the ministry of prayer and the Word.  And so they find men who are willing and able to serve these tables so they can "devote" themselves to prayer and the Word.  

I have had to wrestle lately with this application.  Not that I believe one or the other is wrong, but instead if there is any ability to actually divide prayer and the Word.  Ultimately I would argue of myself that prayer is lacking in my own life and ministry (and likely most pastors would say the same), while the ability to be disciplined in handling and proclaiming the Word is not as neglected.  But I am coming to see that a lack of discipline in one or the other will inevitably lead to a failure of both.  That is ultimately to say, there is not so great a divide between these two "disciplines" but instead we'd do well to see them interactive with one another. 
Note:
1) Prayer should always be flowing out of the Word in the first place, so that we are in accordance with God's will,
2) Prayer apart from the Word will only lead to some potentially dangerous conclusions and requests because of a wayward theology, 
3) Prayer is the end aim of the ministry of the Word, where prayer is understood as a deeper level of intimacy with God and learning to commune back to Him His will,
4) The Word proclaimed apart from prayer, breeds independence,
5) The Word studied apart from prayer only breeds academicians, not disciples,
6) The Word promotes a deeper intimacy, which I might argue is ultimately modeled when one is engaged in incessant prayer.
And so there is no visible divide between these two the more time we meditate and reflect upon this. My ability then to proclaim the glorious Word of God should never, can never really be done any bit adequately apart from prayer.  Neither should ever my desire, even if I could efficiently proclaim the Word apart from prayer, be to do so without prayer as through prayer I connect with God on a level deeper than just His Word affords me.  And so I am challenged this day to be devoted for the Word's sake, to prayer.  And I am challenged, for prayer's sake, to the Word.  One without the other is a miserable failure of both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment