Thursday, August 22, 2013

"So when are you going to LAUNCH?"

The aforementioned is a fair question.  This is the world in which we live, and as church planting has become more and more commercialized, even industrialized, we expect to see the proverbial "finished product."  I have been asked this often.  Of course there are so many others who want to know where our building is, or at least where it will be.  I am glad to tell them that the Miller's house is suiting us quite nicely right now.  

There is a certain apprehension in many people upon learning that I cannot be so bold to circle a day on my calendar any longer.  I have no qualms with anyone who does such, that is their prerogative and the freedom they are granted by Scripture to do such.  My mind has shifted on this matter though, far as what is best, at least in my context, consistent with how I am wired.  

I care much about Sunday mornings.  I care much about the corporate gathering of God's people to celebrate the Risen Christ (when is the last time outside of Easter that we reflected on the decision of the early church to meet on Sundays?).  I make a big deal about the proclamation of the gospel from the Word as it is read, recited, preached.  That is all important, and I celebrate each and every church, pastor, Christian who is so bold to engage with God and God's people on Sunday.  However...

I have made too little of the rest of the week.  I have thought little about the life that is being lived, the pains that are being felt, the Sunday messages that are long forgotten by the Tuesday following.  And so I am challenged.  I am challenged to become mobile.  I am challenged to stir others unto become mobile.  Much of my time in church planting and in ministry has previously been preoccupied with sitting behind a desk and preparing.  I cannot at all cease this entirely.  But I must at least cease in portions or periods so that I am actively engaging my community.  Push back on me if you can find in Scripture where Jesus' desk is.  

And so we will aim to gather corporately, indeed we are doing it now.  We will aim to keep doing a weekly service where Christ is exalted in song, giving, reading, prayer, and the Word.  But we will not inadequately define "launching" as that Sunday we are open to the public.  Rather, our launching is constantly ongoing.  It is about being so compelled by the beauty, glory, work, love, grace, mercy, wrath, holiness...of Christ, that we are launched into our community, into our world, to put this Jesus on display.  I am trusting our celebration on Sunday will only be louder and more heart-felt as a result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment