Friday, October 18, 2013

I'm Going to Talk to Him Who...

I have thought far too little of prayer.  It has been every bit eye-opening as of late how miniscule my view of prayer has really been over the years, when for the first time I am beginning to pray with expectation.  Further, passionate prayers have been so much more prevalent as of late.  None of this to say I have arrived in the least bit.  

It is almost as though we can be deceived into thinking prayer is where the power is.  Don't get me wrongly, I am not dismissing prayer as powerless, my introductory words would seem contradictory if that is what you assume I have concluded.  But prayer is every bit powerless if it is done without faith, done without passion and expectation.

And then there is a deeper realization I am coming to in all of this.  And apart from this  understanding prayer is really impotent, but with this understanding prayer is every bit life-changing, and able to change our very circumstances as a result of this.  That is, when we start to realize who it is we are talking to when we pray.  

I found myself beginning a day in prayer recently with the words "I'm going to pray to Him who..." and then I went into a series of characteristics and accomplishments of GOD Himself.  Concerning God, I simply said, "WHO created all that is, WHO has no beginning, WHO cannot be measured, WHO is wholly other than anything or anyone I know, WHO has all power, WHO is love, WHO knows all, WHO has no rival, WHOSE kingdom reigns forever and ever."  Of course I could go on and on and on about more, but you get the idea.  In this I have realized something wonderful.  It is no longer about what I need, but the ONE I need.  It is no longer about my questions, but how I know the ONE who is the answer to my desires, pains, and hopes.  It is no longer about when I need this, but taking that very moment to delight in HIM.  And on and on and on my heart and mind got swept up not in "prayer" but in HIM to whom belongs all glory and honor, majesty and power, for all ages, now, and forevermore.  

Let the realization of WHO you and I appeal to inspire in us a deeper delight to ask big things of our immeasurable GOD who seeks to glorify Himself in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment