Thursday, March 20, 2014

When I Can't Work for God

Ever since the dawn of time and the constructive work of God to take some dust from the ground, form a man out of it and then breathe into him, God has designed for man to work.  There is no mistaking the purposes of God.  Adam was given a plethora of tasks: be fruitful and multiply and have dominion over some of creation (Gen 1:28), to take care of the Garden (Gen 2:15), name the animals (Gen 2:19).  This is a part of the good purposes of God in His creation.  Of course Adam and Eve, these representatives for the rest of humanity, also brought upon themselves and all thereafter the curse of God that resulted in work being difficult, and less than enjoyable (Gen 3:17-19).  But make no mistake about it, God's design includes work.



Even as relates to any and all efforts revolving around the Great Commission, all of ministry is a sort of work.  Paul's language is every bit indicative of this.  He even says in defense of himself and his ministry efforts that "[he] worked harder" (1 Cor. 15:10).  Further he tells the Colossians that his ministry efforts involve a certain "toil" and a certain "struggling" about it all (1:28).  It is not easy work.  It is painful work.  It is hard work.  And it is every bit exhausting at times.  But we do it because we the Lord has caused us to fall so in love with the greatness and glory of Jesus.  We are captivated by this real, ever-increasing vision of Christ.  It is this understanding we have of falling in line with the authority of Christ over all (28:19-20) that applies not only to the unbelieving who need to come to the "obedience of faith" (Rom 1:5), but applies to us and so we rightly respond to be available messengers.

Lately I have been stuck, unable to work, as I had been, had planned further, and had desired.  It was not because of any lack of time, but for lack of ability.  As I was sidelined with a considerably problematic disc in my back, something I had been living with, that caused pain for parts of the previous 13 years, I was unable to do much of anything.  I was on bed rest for 33 consecutive days leading up to my surgery.  Those are lonely moments, where our desire to do the work God has placed before us is unrelenting.  And too, is the yearning to be useful.  After all, He births this within us.  But a freeing reality, that I hadn't seen and that only through being sidelined as such could it be so powerfully understood, caught me in that same place.

I believe greatly in the work I do.  I believe God delights in the work I do and attempt to do.  He is the One who initiates this in and around me to do so for Him (Eph. 2:10).  And I aim to do the work I do for His name's sake in all the strength that He supplies so that "in everything He might be glorified (1 Pet. 4:10-11).  I, you, and all who have labored to be useful for this cause of His glory, concerning the gospel, and impacting souls for eternity, in this window of time, understand what it is to BE USEFUL.  My work is not in vain. Your work is not in vain.  It is full of purpose.  And so it is easy in all this to trust that as I work, as you work, God is working in, and through, and around, and over, and under, with a pervasive power among all the work we do for Him.  

But the reality is that even when I am not working.  Even when I lack desire to work.  Even when I am sleeping.  Even when I find myself fatigued.  Even when I cannot comprehend any longer.  Even when there is other work for me.  Even when I am UNABLE to work, for whatever purposes, HE IS WORKING.  Easy to say, yet another thing to believe.  And it was as though in all my necessary inactivity, of which I believe God, not a bad back, was delighted to afford me, that I sensed this being revealed to me.  As if God were through all this asking me, "Do you trust I am working as you are working?"  To which I respond, "Oh, absolutely. I know You are."  But then as if God were asking, "Do you trust I work, even when you are unable?"  And to this my heart was less convinced.  But this ever is my only hope.  This ever is your only hope.  And ever for the greatest joy of humanity, for all the best and worst efforts of those who are God's and those who don't know the least bit of HIM, the hope of the world is not in anything less than this: GOD IS WORKING.  It is not me.  It is not you.  God's efforts are most necessary, even on our "best days" of working, and on our "worst days" of not working. 

I say this only to speak of the freedom that I have again realized in that GOD is WORKING.  And in this I again delight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment