Monday, September 16, 2013

Marketing: a Cheap Substitute for Making Disciples

Call me old-fashioned, I am not in the least bit offended.  I continually find it interesting (to put it gently) as to all the things going on in the church today that have little to nothing to do with the gospel.  Of course these who participate in a myriad of activities that have just become our common "church culture" seem to have a way of justifying a lot of it in the name of being relevant.  

I have had to look lately at the reality of what it is costing so many to plant churches around the country.  Granted the cost of living is a bit varied in these different corners of the country, but it strikes me as very wasteful to put the amounts of money some have toward "church planting."  I kid you not that I have recently seen beautiful presentations available online from various planters who indicate it will require even as high as $600,000 over three years to plant a church where God has positioned them.  Now I do not wish to overstate matters here.  Church planting should probably not be viewed as something we put no resources towards.  I speak personally of the difficulty it is to balance getting to know a community, ministering, casting vision, meeting new people, in addition to meeting the needs of my family.  I think God's people do well to take note and participate, knowing that no church planter is seeking to strike it rich, rather we just want to have time to do all the necessary things to which we sense we are called, and eventually there is a big breakdown of some or all of the above mentioned where a full-time or part-time job preoccupies time.  However, I am convinced it likely doesn't have to cost as much as we think either.  There needs to be a healthy tension in all this.  

A high part of the cost for many churches is their marketing strategy.  When did we think marketing was more effective than building relationships?  I am not denying it is wise to get the word out on who we are, but we are first called to be a mouth-piece for the gospel.  I do believe it can create a buzz and generate a following, but I do believe it is easy to start measuring success by the wrong standard (Sunday attendance).  I believe when the gospel is made known through our actions and supporting words some real powerful transformation takes place.  I am convinced that marketing at so many churches anymore is their effort to reach more Christians who are currently unhappy with the present flavor-of-the-month at the church body they are attending.  But we aren't called to that.

So it strikes me as exceptionally irreverent and borderline faithless when I hear of a church that for their first public service gives a new TV away (presumably to get more people to attend).  I am not so convinced this is good stewardship.  I am not so convinced this is a good precedent.  I am not so convinced this is any bit of what Paul had in mind of becoming all things to all people" (1 Cor 9).  I am convinced it is probably a fair way of getting a few more bodies in the seats.  Likely I will never have a TV to give away.  If I did I guess I hope we'd be the type of people who give it to someone who we meet who doesn't have one and has notable needs (don't hear me at all concluding that a TV is a need).  

I am increasingly convinced that our ability to engage in the Great Commission and see God establish new churches is every bit connected with our capacity to be relational, not marketable.  I am increasingly convinced that our boldness to put Jesus front and center with people as we listen, as we speak, and as we act will continually prove to be a display of God's great power at work, rather than our ability to superficially engage people with what appeals to their eyes, ears, and stomachs.  We can get people in the doors in a variety of ways, but since when did that become our goal?  We need first to open our own eyes and see the brilliance of Jesus.  Then we will finally see what will both now and forevermore satisfy the deepest longings within all humanity.  And then we need to let His beauty shine in and through all of who we are both on Sunday mornings, as well as the other 167 hours during the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment