Monday, September 30, 2013

What if we actually prayed with expectation?

I can think of a few seasons in my life where prayer has had with it this immense hope and joy.  The story of asking God for my wife years ago (before she was my wife that is) was one of me crying tears, and pleading with God to give Emily to me.  I had never taken part in such.  It was as though God had given me a desire and the faith to ask for Him to grant me what I was pleading.  He answered, in His perfect timing.  I was gripped the other day again by this sort of burden, as regards the efforts toward the gospel and church planting.  I felt compelled to ask God and ask Him boldly.  I want to have some benchmark to determine what I see Him doing.  So I and those with me are committing to 40 days of commitment to pray, and EXPECT God to do far beyond what we are asking (til Nov. 7th).  

I have had to go back lately to Scripture, to records others in the faith left for us, the stories of those around us, and our own personal lives.  I cannot help but notice a great theme in all this: for those who pray, pray expectantly, in much faith, and pray often, God sure seems to do some wonderfully amazing things.  We all believe this, we have all seen it in some capacity, but our own ability to believe it is anything applicable to us is still yet another story.  But I want to see if my story is any different than those I read of.  I want to see if God's faithfulness is seen similarly to any objective observer when we commit to such bold prayers.

I am not about to say that we will pray hard for 40 days and then cease such.  Hardly the case.  Rather, 40 days is but an initial time period within we will labor in prayer, and at the end assess just what God has done, and further determine how we pray. In fact, I am already committed thereafter to another 40 days.  In all this we are showing commitment to depend on God's grace and mercy in personal, family and corporate prayer so that in all our blessings the Giver will get the GLORY.  And in the process He will shape us into becoming more like Christ even as He aligns our will with His perfect will.  

So join with us.  I am excited, expectant, hopeful, joyful, and eager to pray in much faith (which He has given me to ask of HIM) for all that only HE CAN DO.  So pray with us, in particular for: 
1) souls to be won, 2) a place to meet, 3) provision, 4) laborers for this work, 5) a constant devotion to center all of who we are upon Christ.  In 40 days I am eager to see HIS work among souls, guiding us, providing for us, adding to our number, and to cause us all the more to exalt CHRIST.  


No comments:

Post a Comment